Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Contradicting Myself

At the end of a previous post of mine, Harris vs. Sullivan, I wrote:

In many ways, bloggers are the kind of expert academic readers that Harris
describes. They analyze texts, turn them into something personal, and get at the
core of their message. While I think both Harris and Sullivan would agree that
blogging is a form of writing, I am willing to propose that blogging is perhaps
writing in its truest form.

After re-reading that, I'm wondering just what I was thinking. Who did I think I was to make such a sweeping statement about writing and what it means to write? This is a concept I am still struggling with, even though it appears as if I were once an expert on the subject. I admit, a "true" piece of writing is all of the things I mentioned before. It is analytical, it is personal, and it is honest. But that is not all; writing is much more than that. While it is analytical, it is also consensual, it is personal, but still relatable, and it is honest and yet ambiguous. Furthermore, writing is more than just a list of adjectives. It is a style and a process all its own that is deeply dependent upon the individual actually doing the writing. The writer sifts through his thoughts and decides which ones are meaningful enough to be written down - which ones reflect what he's really thinking. The writer, therefore, decides what is true and untrue, what should be written and what should not. In this way, it seems that all writing is a true form of writing.

Okay. Obviously I just countered my previous idea that blogging is writing in its truest form. I did this by first acknowledging the valid traits of writing that I mentioned before - how it's analytical, personal, and honest. I then expanded on these ideas by saying that their opposites could also be used to describe writing - it is consensual, relatable, and ambiguous. I then took the piece in a new direction and offered a different explanation of "true" writing. This time I suggested that perhaps all writing is true writing, as opposed to blogging being the ultimate "true" writing.

P.S. I'm not sure why my block quote looks like a poem. I couldn't get it to all be aligned.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post, Sadie. I was happy to see you revisiting your thoughts on writing. Ever hear the song "Life is Life"? Another way to phrase your conclusion could be writing is writing. The countering explanation was helpful, too.

    ReplyDelete